This is my online diary that describes my participation in the Critical Links Theatre project, supported by the Educational Theatre Association and the Arts Education Partnership.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Better late than never

As a participant in the Critical Links Theatre project, we were asked to keep a diary of our process. Here I am four weeks before the February meeting, finally putting my mind to the task of looking for the critical links in my teaching process.

To review, last fall, twelve theatre teachers from all over Ohio met in Cincinnati to enter into a heightened engagement with our work in class and on stage. Over the course of a weekend, we participated in a sequence of stimulating exercises that were designed to focus us on our teaching with the goal of coming up with an Inquiry to pursue.

It looks like this:

1. Create a learning community
2. Develop a question for inquiry
3. Create an inquiry plan
4. Collect evidence
5. Share initial findings
6. Organize and weigh evidence
7. Share conclusions from inquiry

At the end of the weekend, I had a question for inquiry. I'm looking at it right now and I think it is completely stupid! It is too broad and too vague. So I'm going to throw all that out and think about my theatre teaching process as we end the first semester this fall and then come up with a more focused inquiry for the next semester.

No comments: