This is my online diary that describes my participation in the Critical Links Theatre project, supported by the Educational Theatre Association and the Arts Education Partnership.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Physical voice training

It seems to me that many people are detached from their voices. They open their mouths, sounds come out, but they have little awareness of how much they could do to enhance the quality.

I've been having students put their hands on their faces to feel the muscles working.

My mime and mask movement teacher, Leonard Pitt, always had us make sounds when we worked on our actions. There are some movements I cannot do without summoning the sounds we used to make in his class. I've found that my students are now similarly infected! I need to explore the sound/action connections with more depth and attentiveness. Certainly, the sounds enhance the respiration and strengthen lung power.

No comments: